We are searching data for your request:
Upon completion, a link will appear to access the found materials.
Chicken waterzooï is a delicious traditional dish from the North, Flanders and Belgium.
Ingredients for 4 to 6 people:
- 1 free-range chicken
- 6 carrots medium
- 3 turnips
- 3 leeks
- 1 stalk of celery
- 2 onions
- 1 branch of thyme
- 1 chicken broth
- 1 bunch of parsley
> Also to discover: fish waterzooï
Chicken waterzooï recipe
To make the chicken waterzoï recipe a success, care must be taken with the cooking, because it is this that will make your poultry tender and fragrant and your vegetables cooked properly.
Do not hesitate to prepare this dish the day before because it is even better the next day!
1 – Cooking chicken for waterzooï:
For the waterzoï, we start by cooking the chicken separately in order to cook the vegetables in a second step.
- Place the whole chicken in a pot
- Fill the bottom of the pot with salted water to about 10 cm
- Add the chicken broth, the sprig of thyme and the onions
- Cover and bring to a boil then cook for about 45 minutes at low broth
Once cooked, take out the chicken, cut it and remove all the bones, then reserve the pieces in the cooking juices. Do not hesitate to put all the meat, including the smallest pieces of chicken still hanging on the carcass.
At this stage, we can leave the onions but it is better to remove the cloves.
2 – Cooking vegetables for the chicken waterzooï:
The 2nd step of waterzoï is to cook the vegetables. We have opted for separate cooking in order to retain the flavor of all the vegetables.
- Peel then wash all the vegetables
- Bring water to a boil in a large container
- Cut the carrots and turnips into pieces of equal size (a few centimeters no more)
- Cut the leeks into 3 to 4 cm sections diagonally.
- Cut the celery into small pieces of about 1 cm
- Place all the vegetables in the container, being careful that they remain slightly crunchy.
3 – To conclude the chicken waterzooï:
Once the vegetables are cooked, they are added to the meat which is already bathed in the juice.
Finally add 2 to 3 tablespoons of sour cream, chopped parsley, then mix gently so as not to damage the vegetables.
Let the chicken waterzoi rest and then reheat it just before serving.
We like to serve the waterzoï in soup plates, with as much juice as possible (as in the photo!), Bread and butter ...
Enjoy your meal !
- Also to discover: the fish waterzooï
Chicken side dish and waterzooï
You can serve the waterzooï as such, simply with bread and butter, or put rice on the side and serve directly on the plate so that it is bathed in the juice like other vegetables.