We are searching data for your request:
Upon completion, a link will appear to access the found materials.
Old age, an incurable disease or your pet's aggressiveness may lead you to have him euthanized.
When should this decision be made and how is euthanasia performed?
Here are some ideas ...
Euthanasia in old age or illness
Everyone reacts differently to the end of life. Some prefer to see nothing, because they fear the void that the disappearance of their animal will leave. Others want to maintain a dignified image and refuse to inflict an existence that is no longer acceptable to their animal. Guilt and anxiety often prevent you from making the right decision.
If in doubt, consult your veterinarian who will perform a complete examination of your companion. He will explain the process of a possible euthanasia and will guide you with compassion.
- It should be known that by instinct an animal does not complain, because in nature all the weak elements are eliminated. You have to watch him to determine if he is in pain.
- If your pet has difficulty getting up and moving.
- If your pet refuses to feed.
- When your pet no longer plays, does not want to walk and sleeps all day.
- Your pet is incontinent and appears to be disoriented.
If you have observed all of these signs, you should slowly prepare yourself to let him go. This decision is yours, it is personal.
Euthanasia in the event of aggression
According to the laws of March 5, 2007 and June 20, 2008, if your dog has bitten a person or a fellow creature, you must fulfill certain obligations (they may be required by the injured person, the doctor or the police):
- Your dog will need to be presented to your veterinarian three times during the fifteen days following the bite to protect the attacked individual, as no vaccine to date has 100% protection against rabies.
- Your dog must be subjected to a behavioral assessment during the period of his health surveillance by an authorized veterinarian (list deposited at the town hall).
- In the event of a proven danger, the mayor or the prefect can request the euthanasia of your dog.
The course of euthanasia
Euthanasia is offered when no treatment can improve the quality of life or if an animal is recognized as dangerous. The veterinarian talks at length with the owners. He is there to explain, advise, listen and console.
Under no circumstances is euthanasia performed if you want to abandon your animal. We take life only if no other solution is possible.
- After placing the animal on an examination table, the vet injects an overdose of anesthetic to put the subject to sleep. A second dose is injected to stop the heartbeat.
- Depending on how you feel, you are free to accompany your animal during the process. It is a particularly painful time that everyone experiences in their own way.
- After about fifteen minutes, the veterinarian notices the death.
What to do with the body of animals?
Your veterinarian will offer you several solutions:
- A collective incineration.
- Individual cremation with recovery of the ashes in an urn.
- A restitution of the body if you wish to bury it in your garden. The law in force imposes certain rules.
- He must weigh less than forty kilos.
- The land or garden must be yours.
- The place where you will drop the body must be 35 meters from the houses and water points.
- The animal should be buried at least one meter underground.
- The body should be covered with quicklime.
- Although the departure of your animal is traumatic, we often feel relieved to have ended the suffering before which we are powerless.
- The decision is difficult because it leaves room for the void left by the disappearance of her pet.
- Crying, talking about it, and letting your emotions out is important. Veterinarians often offer psychological help when needed to face the main stages of grief.
- Shock and denial.
- Guilt and anger
- Depression and Pain
- In some cases, taking magnesium is very helpful because it is soothing.
A step towards healing
- The most effective solution is to take a new companion. It's not about replacing the previous one, but about giving another animal the chance to share your life. So many of them are waiting.
- Some will choose adoption at a shelter to make sense of this new beginning.
- Others will use the same breed, as they are found in the character description.
- The latter will completely change animal or breed so as not to make a comparison.
- Over time, you will talk about your missing animal while smiling and recalling fond memories of your company. We never forget them, we just go on with our lives.
Did you know ?
In the United States, doctors prescribe pets like emotional supportto replace antidepressants.
- An animal does good on a daily basis. It allows you to learn sharing and responsibility.
- animals facilitate the social bond.
- It allows for an exchange of affections, so do not deprive yourself of it.
To meditate : “You miss only one being and everything is depopulated. " Lamartine