We are searching data for your request:
Upon completion, a link will appear to access the found materials.
Black radish or winter radish is an absolutely delicious root vegetable with a slightly tangy taste.
In summary, what you need to know:
Last name : Raphanus sativus niger
Family : Brassicaceae
Type : Annual
Height : 20 to 30 cm depending on the variety
Exposure : Sunny
Ground : Rather rich and well drained
Sowing : May to October -Harvest : September to December
To read : benefits and virtues of black radish
- Discover : black radish recipes
- Vegetable garden: growing pink radish
From sowing to harvesting black radish, here are all the growing tips.
Black radish seedlings
The black radish sowing is easy to be carried out and can be carried outthroughout the summer directly in place.
Just cover with a little soil and / or potting soil and then water regularly to quickly harvest beautiful, fresh radishes ...
Black radish sowing:
They are sown from May to September / October depending on the climate
- Sowing in the ground
- Make furrows 2-3 cm deep
- Sow the seeds spaced apart (every 3-4 cm approximately)
- Lightly cover the furrows without packing the soil too much
- Water regularly in fine rain
Once the seedling has emerged, it is necessary to clarify. This operation consists of removing the weakest plants so as to keep only the most vigorous every 15/20 cm.
- Maintain clean soil by removing weeds as you go
- Hoe regularly to facilitate the flow of water to the roots
We can also sow the black radish in planters, with potting soil and regular watering, you will have beautiful radishes to taste directly from your terrace or balcony !
Caring for black radish
Once sown, we can consider that only regular watering is necessary, especially in case of hot summer
- Maintain a relatively cool soil by frequent watering, especially in summer
- Mulch the soil to keep the soil cool
- Pull out weeds if there are any
Harvesting black radish
Harvesting black radishes is best done before the first frosts. It usually takes place at least 4 months after sowing.
- Harvesting before it freezes allows for easier lifting
- They can be considered good to harvest as soon as the black radishes start to emerge from the ground.
- Once harvested, dry the black radishes outdoors, making sure it does not rain.
- The black radishes are then stored in a dry, cool and airy place (the "Noir long maraîcher" has a very good winter conservation).
Properties of black radish
Rich in vitamin B and C, phosphorus and magnesium, it also has diuretic properties.
Excellent for draining the liver and gallbladder by providing toning properties for digestion.
It is good to consume black radish in the evening because it allows a better assimilation but also to fight against insomnia.
- It is very low in calories
- Black radish is rich in fiber
- It improves bile secretions which allows cleanse and detoxify the liver
- It is frequently used against kidney and gallstones
You will consume black radish both raw and cooked or in the form of black radish juice. But you can also get it in pharmacies, in the form of a capsule to swallow.
- > To read also: health benefits and virtues of black radish
Black radish varieties
We do not consume the Black radish only a short time ago when he arrived in France in the 16th century.
Do not confuse black radish with horseradish. On the other hand, it is also called cultivated horseradish or Parisian horseradish.
Interesting varieties of black radish!
- "Black, large winter circle": grows quickly, stores very well and resists small frosts.
- "Long clock weight": very black skin, cylindrical, 20 to 25 cm long.
- "Big winter long black": longer than round, it measures up to 30 cm and keeps very well.
- "Snake" or "Rattail": the pod is harvested (before it has reached maturity) and not the root. As big as a pencil, often purplish. To be consumed fresh or confit in vinegar.
- "Violet de Gournay": One of the softest, its skin is purplish pink and it keeps very well.
Asian black radish:
- "Okhura": very sweet radish, it forms rounded white roots.
- "Chinese winter rose": can be sown in both fall and spring, long pink roots.
- "Ilka": sweet and juicy flavor, round, dark pink, roots 10 to 15 cm in diameter.
To have crunchy black radishes throughout the season, it is good to spread the seedlings out. Sowing every 2 to 3 weeks makes it possible to have radishes always perfect to consume
Photo © Leonid Nyshko